Updates to League of Legends are released via patches. The patcher is responsible for scanning League of Legends files and updating them.
- You cannot see the patcher
- The patcher gets stuck on a particular file and stops loading
- You are getting an error during the patching process
If your patch failed or is stuck, please refer to the steps below:
PATCH USING GARENA PC
The new Garena PC is optimized to handle game patching much better, do give it a try if you haven't already done so.
- Download Garena PC from here.
- Launch Garena PC and sign in to your Garena account.
- Click on League of Legends.
- Click on Update.
If you encounter any patching issue(s) with Garena PC, try repairing your game files.
PERFORM A MANUAL PATCH
We will update the latest files to our website whenever there is a new patch.
- Download the manual patch.
- Double click on the ".exe" file to launch the patcher to proceed with patching.
RUN THE GAME AS AN ADMINISTRATOR
In order for the patcher to have access to your computer, you must run it with Administrator privileges.
How to run League of Legends as an Administrator?
- Right-Click on the League of Legends shortcut
- Select Run as Administrator
FORCE A RE-INSTALLATION
Sometimes files become corrupt during the patching process, usually due to anti-virus and/or connection issues. Forcing a re-installation should help resolving this issue.
DISABLE USER ACCOUNT CONTROL
User Account Control can sometimes block the League of Legends patcher from modifying files on your computer.
You can disable UAC by following Microsoft's instructions here.
TEMPORARILY DISABLE YOUR FIREWALL/ANTI-VIRUS
We have contacted a large number of firewall manufacturers to identify League of Legends as a harmless application and add exceptions for League of Legends automatically. It is possible that your firewall simply needs the latest update from the manufacturer to apply these exceptions.
Please note: Some firewalls require an active subscription in order to receive the latest updates.
List of Firewall Manufacturers:
- Agnitum (Agnitum)
- Antiy Labs (Antiy-AVL)
- ALWIL (Avast! Antivirus)
- AVG Technologies (AVG)
- Avira (AntiVir)
- Baidu (Baidu-International)
- BitDefender GmbH (BitDefender)
- Bkav Corporation (Bkav)
- Cat Computer Services (Quick Heal)
- CMC InfoSec (CMC Antivirus)
- ClamAV (ClamAV)
- Comodo (Comodo)
- Doctor Web, Ltd. (DrWeb)
- Emsi Software GmbH (Emsisoft)
- Eset Software (ESET NOD32)
- Fortinet (Fortinet)
- FRISK Software (F-Prot)
- F-Secure (F-Secure)
- G DATA Software (GData)
- Hacksoft (The Hacker)
- Hauri (ViRobot)
- Ikarus Software (Ikarus)
- INCA Internet (nProtect)
- K7 Computing (K7AntiVirus, K7GW)
- Kaspersky Lab (Kaspersky)
- Kingsoft (Kingsoft)
- Malwarebytes Corporation (Malwarebytes Anti-malware)
- McAfee (VirusScan)
- Microsoft (Malware Protection)
- Nano Security (Nano Antivirus)
- Norman (Norman Antivirus)
- Panda Security (Panda Platinum)
- Rising Antivirus (Rising)
- Sophos (SAV)
- Sunbelt Software (Sunbelt antivirus)
- SUPERAntiSpyware (SUPERAntiSpyware)
- Symantec AntiVirus
- TotalDefense (TotalDefense)
- VirusBlokAda (VBA32)
TURNING OFF YOUR FIREWALL(S):
The patcher downloads a large number of files to your computer, which can be misidentified as a threat by your firewall. Updating the firewall usually whitelists our patcher, otherwise you will need to temporarily disable your firewall.
DISABLE OR TURN OFF THIRD PARTY FIREWALLS
Unfortuantely, we cannot provide specific instructions for each firewall as many variations exist, but most firewalls allow themselves to be temporarily disabled by right clicking on their icon in the Windows tool bar (bottom right of the screen) and selecting the appropriate option.
- Click on Start
- Click on Control Panel
- Click on System and Security
- Click on Windows Firewall
- Click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off (You might need to provide the Administrator password at this step)
- Under each Network location, select the Turn off Windows Firewall option
MANUALLY INSTALL .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5
.NET Framework is a software library developed by Microsoft that runs primarily on Microsoft Windows. One of the dependencies of League of Legends is the .Net Framework 3.5. Even if you have 4.0, you may need to also have the 3.5 version installed to properly play League of Legends. You can download and install it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=21
CHANGE FROM A WIRELESS CONNECTION TO A WIRED ONE
Wireless connections tend to be slower and more prone to interruptions then good old Ethernet cables.
You may notice a significant improvement in download speed and quality by switching to a wired connection.